Monday, February 23, 2009

So why Mechanical?

Okay, so when I was a senior in high school, I was so lost. I had no idea what I wanted my college major to be, let alone my career. Plus the fact that I am a very indecisive person didn't help. WPI was actually the only technical school I applied to. All the other schools were liberal arts with a strong science and engineering program. So after visiting many a school, I realized that I didn't need a school with a good History or English program, because I knew I didn't want to go into that. WPI ended up being my choice because it was strong in all science and engineering fields, and that was important to me since I still didn't know what I wanted to major in.

As an incoming Freshman I declared an undecided major. My main reason for being undecided was because I didn't know what the different engineering distinction meant. What exactly was a chemical engineer vs a biomedical engineer? So utilizing the CDC I participated in the Major Selection Program (now called the Major Exploration Series). This helped a TON! I learned about all the majors at WPI and what they meant, what work I could be doing, and how much money I could make :-). By C-Term I was declared a Mechanical Engineering major.

So why did I choose Mechanical? Mainly because I could have a career working on my passion...cars. Ever since I was little I have loved cars, and been fascinated with them. That became a past time between my father and I. So when I eventually realized that I could make a career out of working on the car making process I was all for it! Mechanical engineering had that appeal to me, plus I was a fan of physics in high school, and like learning how things work. So I was all set, a mechanical engineer I was going to be! And to this day I am happy as a soon to be mechanical design engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment